There are two primary reasons for this question:
- Treat an issue they have noticed in their horse, and
- Provide to their horse as a possible preventative.
As easy as this question is, it is often one that veterinarians don’t like answering because there are just so many options available. Veterinarians often have not had the chance to truly evaluate the actual data behind the different products, particularly in the area of nutraceuticals. There are many options available to veterinarians for the treatment of joint-related issues, including NSAIDS, injectables and nutraceuticals.
The biggest criticism within the veterinary profession of joint-related products has been:
- Lack of scientific validation behind products and their claims
- Issues associated with product administration (site reactions, withholding periods, etc.)
- Costs per dose of administration
These factors make it extremely difficult to recommend specific products.
Often the key criteria identified by veterinarians and their clients on the best joint products to utilise is:
- Technical virtues
- Ease of application
- Cost per dose
- Possible side effects from administration
- Safe long-term usage
Interpath is a research and development company that has been working in this area for the past 12 years. They have been listening to the ongoing comments and feedback provided by veterinarians, surgeons and end users, and believes it has now developed a product that is capable of meeting the needs of the Australian equine industry.
4CY TE™ Epiitalis® Forte is a new feed additive that includes the key active ingredient Epiitalis®. Epiitalis® is an oil extract, which has been patented for its ability to proliferate chondrocytes in an inflamed environment and for its ability to suppress prostaglandin E2, a central inflammatory mediator.
4CYTE™ has become a brand synonymous with quality research programs supporting revolutionary product development. Having undergone in-vivo, in-vitro and clinical studies, giving veterinarians and end users the confidence of a scientifically developed and backed product.
Clinical Trial (unpublished)
A recent clinical trial completed at the Equine Medical Centre Ocala on horses showing signs of arthritis and joint inflammation by Dr Fred Benker showed a consistent positive response. Some of the key results from this study included:
- 7 of the 10 horses had a consistent lameness at Day 0
- 8 of the 10 horses at Day 14 had an absent or difficult to observe lameness
- Only 1 horse had a subtle limp after 42 days
Range of Movement
- 8 of the 10 horses had a significant reduction in range of movement/mobility at Day 0
- At Day 14, 8 horses were showing full range or a slight reduction in range of movement/mobility
- At Day 42, 9 of the 10 horses had full range of movement/mobility
- Some of the veterinary comments made on individual cases at the conclusion of the clinical trial:
- Much sounder, no longer requiring other medication to trail ride
- Went from retirement back to being able to compete in barrel racing
- Terrific results working better than the previous IA treatment protocol
- Miracle for this horse – running, bucking, playing like a foal for the first time in several years
- Helped this horse significantly
For further information on this new product, please contact your Provet Account Manager.